DAILY DEVOTION, February 16, 2022
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new (2 Corinthians 5:17).
How does one define a Christian? Paul gives us a good definition. True Christians are defined as a new creation. The old things have passed away. What exactly does this mean? In brief, what has passed away is a self-centered life. The new creation is a Christ-centered life.
Specifically, the new life is built around Christ and His teachings. For example:
1. The new life reflects the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).
2. The new life enables us to love our enemies (Matthew 5:44).
3. The new life wants to proclaim the Gospel (Matthew 28:19-20).
4. The new life is content with what we have (Hebrews 13:5.)
5. The new life lives by the commandments of Jesus (John 14:5).
6. The new life practices forgiveness (Ephesians 4:32).
7. The new life is generous (Luke 6:38).
8. The new life does not forsake the church (Hebrews 10:25).
I could expand the list, but I think you get the idea. In summary, mature Christians embrace a new way of life characterized by obedience to Jesus and His commandments.
Father, I praise You for giving us new life when we trust in Jesus. Help me turn my back on those things contrary to Your will and live the new life You have given to me through Jesus Christ, my Lord, Amen.